In this article, I am going to make an argument for learning one topic deeply as opposed to many topics generally and my reason for this is so that programmers beginning their journey can perhaps be convinced of this to take advantage of the exponentially increased breadth of concepts deep learning will allow them over time. That’s right, learning more concepts in the same language as opposed to the same concepts in a different language.
As I just mentioned, this will predominantly be directed towards web developers just beginning their learning journeys, setting forth to find their first jobs. It’s easy to get get the wrong idea from job descriptions, and we often get carried away by the overwhelming weight of knowledge that can be thought to be expected of ourselves.
Continue reading and let’s see if we can get that weight off your shoulders.
For example, if I know I will need two variables and a loop to solve an algorithm with the two-pointer approach but have no idea how to write Python, wouldn’t I just need to search for how to write loops, variables, and functions to write the algorithmic solution in Python? This is the ability that learning one technology deeply allows you.
Learning many technologies generally is actually a distraction from learning new concepts because all learning has an associated time cost.
- What is React.js? — https://coreyjameslynch.medium.com/what-is-reactjs-17a5db6f53c2 — Corey Lynch
- Node.js — https://nodejs.org/en/
- Most Popular Backend Frameworks — 2012/2021 — https://statisticsanddata.org/data/most-popular-backend-frameworks-2012-2021/
- Express.js — http://expressjs.com/
- React Native — https://reactnative.dev/
- React Redux — https://react-redux.js.org/
- Introduction to the DOM — https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Document_Object_Model/Introduction
- Virtual DOM — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3AkSS5hXMA&t=1s — Programming with Mosh
- AngularJS — https://angularjs.org/
- VueJS — https://vuejs.org/
- Algorithms and Data Structures — https://leetcode.com/problemset/all/